Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Tsunami by Tracy Dizon

I wanted to share this design I made for the longest time that I thought I already posted a blog about it. I just realized now that I haven't yet! Haha! This design I thought about entering a contest but since I don't have my "Winning Streak" anymore it hasn't had it's chance to be appreciated. LOL. But kidding aside, this design I made is one of my most favorite and meaningful designs I've ever done. I made this during a  very reflective period of my life. As I felt the overwhelming questions in mind... it reflected on my designs thinking about life questions about nature and how everything falls into place whether it may be good or bad.

I have always been in love with Hokusai's Paintings. They are iconic and simply beautiful. Honusai's paintings capture the simplicity and the harmony in nature that's why I never get tired looking at them. I actually send Hokusai Painting postcards to friends everytime I'm in Japan... I just simply think it's the best visual I can share to anyone who would like to experience Japan. Hehe.
October 2009: Tokyo, Japan Postcards for friends! My favorite Hokusai postcards!




Although I must admit this concept is not my original idea... I'm really into fabric printing in different kinds of styles and mediums. I must admit I fell in love with John Galliano's Suzurka-San coat, I felt the higher sense of art and fashion in the execution and panache. So much that I wanted to make something of my own... in my own silhouette and my own aesthetic... something younger and more whimsical with a dash of street style. It is an honor to be inspired but such magnificent masterpiece. 

Left: Suzurka-San coat, Spring-Summer 2007 Haute Couture collection. Hand-painted, embroidered white linen coat. Christian Dior collection.
Right: Katsushika Hokusai (1760-1849), The Great Wave off the Coast of Kanagawa. From the serie “Thirty-Six Views of Mount Fuji”. Reprint of 1948. Color woodblock print. Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts, Moscow. © Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts.

Tsunami 2012 Edition

タイトル:TSUNAMI



Inspired by the classic iconic painting of Hokusai, "Tsunami". A force of nature larger than life. Inevitable and overpowering which leaves us the question, "Are we going to sink or swim?" A hard question but the answer should be simple: Go with nature.

A simple ensemble of a short dress with handpainted replica of Hokusai's painting, accented with wave form cut-out patterns and electric pleated collar.

この作品は葛飾北斎の代表作TSUNAMIをモチーフとしています。不可避かつ強力で、命より壮大な自然の力は「この波に溺れるか?泳ぐか?」という難しい問題を我々に突きつけます。しかし、答えは簡単で、「自然と共に」です。

波の形の裁断と雷の形の襟をアクセントとして、北斎のTSUNAMIの模写が手書きされたワンピースのドレスです

P.S.
Thank you, Taka for translating to Nihongo. ^_^

3 comments:

  1. your design is amazing.. how you get inspired...

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's kinda like the clash of the traditional art and modern art~~ cool!!

    p.s. i've always been fascinated w/ ukiyo-e paintings, they just scream japanese for me.. gahhd, i wish i can draw one of those paintings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This design was one of my favorites. You should make it in an actual piece

    ReplyDelete

❤ Thanks for your comments! Sorry, I don't publish ANONYMOUS comments!❤