Saturday, February 09, 2013

Street Shopping in Kyoto

Sushi-looking Candies! So KAWAII!
One part I enjoy after visiting temples and shrines in Japan is checking out the market nearby. It's always filled with interesting Japanese merchandise that brings-out the compulsive shopper in me. LOL. This is actually my second time to visit around a nearby market area, my first time was in Nakamise Dori in Asakusa in Tokyo. I must say that Kyoto  has a different charm in it as well. It's always interesting to see different street foods, traditional charms ~ Omamori, kawaii toys and sweets and just any knickknacks that's there to see... It's a fun place to get some inspiration and just find kawaii things that I love! Luckily, I took some extra-effort (despite the New Year's Day crowd) to take some photos of the enticing and colorful stuff I found.

Too crowded by the street market!

The first stall I noticed was this fortune-telling/palm-reading stall. I was kinda tempted to try it out but I don't think I'll get my money well spent since the palm-reader doesn't speak English anyways. Haha! 

Japanese Fortune-teller/Palm-reading... I wonder if they're accurate...

And of course... I found those traditional Japanese charms.... my favorite Manekineko as often as I see it, I still love taking snaps of them. 

Maneko Neko and Daruma!

Daruma also looks interesting especially when they're all lined-up like an army. An army of Daruma makes an interesting texture, don't you think?


There were lots of varieties of souvenirs for Omiyage, (those mini lanterns are so kakkoii!) but I really wondered why I couldn't find any postcard of Fushimi Inari Taisha... But there were many interesting trinkets of things anyways!

Lots of kawaii omiyage!
OMG I fell in love with this!! KEWPIE dressed up as MANEKI NEKO!!! LOVE!! Of course I got one of this! haha!
Hello Kitty wearing kimonos! Adorable!

One thing I missed to take photos in Nakamise Dori in Asakusa were the street food sale. This time I tried my best to take interesting food snaps... Kyoto (Kansai Region generally) has good food that I really enjoy and LOVE!

At first I thought this was OKONOMIYAKI... but apparently since it's a FISH-SHAPED CAKE... 
So it's called TAIYAKI
TAKOYAKI! I love OCTOPUS!
Well, I don't really know what this is... but I asked kareshi and told me this is called IWANATTO. It's some kind of a sweet food...?
GYU SUJI NIKOMI
Well, this is simply just BEEF STEW but it sounds more interesting when it's called GYU SUJI NIKOMI!

And like a kid... I was fascinated with the traditional Japanese candies and some kawaii cartoon lollipops! I love the glazed colors and the pastel mix! What's more interesting about these Japanese candies is that they have a mild sweetness that's just right. (Yeah... THE CANDY EXPERT SPEAKS! LOL!)

At first I thought these were pencil erasers or may be some sushi toys... But they were apparently SUPER KAWAII SUSHI CANDIES! They're too pretty to eat! Haha!
Taka, Atreyu and I have some sweet-tooth over these candies!
These pretty candies look like stars!

I love these kawaii Sanrio characters lollipops! But I'd feel bad to eat them! They're too cute and their glazed eyes are irresistible! Haha!
My favorite Onegai My Melody! 
Cinnamonroll is so cute!
Hello Kitty Lollipops! 
Atreyu and Taka were so happy to get their own loot of things from the market... They got two bags of candies. KIDS. Haha! I just enjoy checking out local markets and finding some piece of local culture with it. Kyoto is a nice and special, like an old world serene place. Luckily, I still have a blog or two reserved for Kyoto... like finding the best ramen, special edition KitKat Kyoto Edition Flavors, the famous Kyoto Station and some more Shinto Prayers!

January 1, 2013 ~ Instagram Post: It's was a crowded Kyoto today... But it was still a great spiritual and cultural visit... And I'm so happy to collect some Kyoto loots ~ an Ema which we didn't know where to hang, special edition Kitkat found in Kyoto kiosk, a kawaii Kewpie Manekineko charm and some instax snaps!
So excited to post them soon! I'm so happy to share my one-day Kyoto experience! Haha! More soon! Would you believe these are all in a day? Haha!

... つづく

23 comments:

  1. i can't live in japan. i'll get bankrupt due to cuteness overload!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! True that! It's always a power struggle to buy or not to buy! Haha!

      Delete
  2. Wow great post! I want the Hello Kitty, Maneko Neko, and Takoyaki >.< It's hard for me to hold on to my money too, especially Japanese stuff. xD I'm currently in the US, but whenever I'm back in Philippines it's hard to resist shopping in Manila. I prefer to shop around Asia than in the US.

    http://bunnikisses.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bunni! Thanks for your comment!I love Maneki Neko the most haha! Shopping in Manila is relatively cheaper than in the US... (you should chek-out 168!) There are lots of kawaii things to buy there!

      Japan is a bit expensive but the kawaii-ness is still irresistible!

      Delete
    2. Oh I agree! I stopped in Nagoya, and Tokyo a few times and I had to have my sister restrain me from overspending at the airports(because we were suppose to buy most of our stuff in Philippines hehehe) Yeah I actually have been to 168, I'm planning to visit again this May. I also love the malls back home, extremely big and a wide variety of stores.

      Delete
  3. oh we should have tried takoyaki for you. it must be good and warm. and, i like it when you say gyusuji nikomi haha. yea it is true gyusuji nikomi is like beef stew but more salty and mild taste haha. your photos are really impressive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually curious with Taiyaki haha! But I love Takoyaki anywhere! I wish we foound some postcards! But it was still fun checking out the stalls!

      Delete
  4. LOL . i'm so jealous.i wish i could go to japan again.. but i'm so busy these days with work, gym, boyfriend time (LOL) and hanging out with friends.. I found out thaat i cant take long vacations.. HOW SAD =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can visit Japan with your BF and friends so you can do all things at once haha! Like hitting three birds in one stone! LOL ^_^

      Delete
  5. excellent issues altogether, you just won a brand new reader.
    What would you suggest about your submit that you simply made a few days ago?

    Any certain?
    My blog : click the next web page

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohmygahhhd.. cuteness overload.
    those candies.. i'm puking rainbows just by looking at them~~
    japan's new year is really something ne~ the hatsuhinode, hatsumode, and omikuji.. awesome traditions..
    nipon banzai!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really interesting! Haha! I wanted to convert to Shinto for a moment LOL!

      Delete
    2. hihi. their traditions are really fascinating~~ if i'll be living there i think i will be fully converted into their cultures and tradition~~ living the anime-ish dream. hihi :3

      Delete
  7. I wanted to Visit Japan Shrines someday and those nekos are just cute and adorable :))
    Kitty-chan charm so cute!!!!
    CANDIES!!!! I WANT EM ALL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, that's a lot of food. I will get fatter in Japan. How do Japanese people stay so thiiiin? *u*

    I also want my own daruma. Nyaaa, they have this rule about which eye to color... saw it in Hana Kimi (first version). How much do they normally cost in Japan? 8D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Japanese stay thin because there are alot of walking to do in Japan! Haha! ^_^ I didn't notice the Daruma prices though~ Gomen ne~

      Delete
  9. super love the candies! i think my tooth will ache over those cute tiny stars ;) cant get over it! i wish i could go to japan soon ;)thank for this post i feel im in japan too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I'm sooooo dazed seeing so much candies! Haha! May be because it was a family holiday many kids comes out with their families so many sweets are available too! They tastes good too! Not too sweet-kind-of-mildness!

      Hope you can still continue reading! I'll be posting more trip posts to share :-)

      Delete
  10. I love those colorful candies! My sweet tooth would surely be satisfied in Japan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! You'll enjoy all the sweets in JPN! ^_^

      Delete
  11. Wow! It looks like you had a great time at the markets. Great pictures too! I love Japanese star candy. It's cute and yummy. :) Sadly, we missed out on visiting these markets on our visit to Kyoto, but hopefully there's always next time. :) Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many comments here like everyone is interested in your travelog.

    ReplyDelete

❤ Thanks for your comments! Sorry, I don't publish ANONYMOUS comments!❤